This TSA training workshop is designed for:
- Entry Level Landscapers
- Custodial Maintenance staff
- Entry Level Maintenance Personnel
- Entry Level Gardeners
- Maintenance Supervisors
- Entry level Irrigation Technicians
The following organization can benefit from this training: Hospitals & Clinics, Schools, Casinos, Housing Agencies, Local Governments, Parks Departments, NPS, & Private Businesses
The agenda has been structured to include the most common types of landscape and grounds maintenance situations encountered by Facility Management, Custodial Departments, and Parks Departments. The workshop is designed for any organization which deals with gardening, installing, and maintaining a variety of horticulture, including trees, flower beds, shrubs, and other types of plants.
Lawn and sod installation, repair, and maintenance will be thoroughly be addressed, as well as irrigation, the purpose of irrigation, types of irrigation, including the procedure for planning, constructing, and executing a well-designed plan. Additionally, repairs, diagnoses, and preventative maintenance will be covered.
Participants will learn about proper lawn care, important aspects of tree planting and pruning, shrub and plant selection and care, preparation for winter and spring, and precisely what to look for to [avoid] the common problems of landscape maintenance.
Each participant will receive a detailed landscape maintenance workbook to use during the training, which will be theirs to keep for future reference on the job. TSA certificates will be presented to everyone who attends this training.
Two days, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Major topics that will be covered during the workshop:
- Introduction to landscaping & grounds keeping
- Grounds maintenance
- Lawn & turf selection – types of grass & sod, planting suggestions
- Lawn Maintenance – fertilization, pre-emergents, water requirements, cutting, thatching, aeration, scalping
- Equipment & tools used in landscape maintenance
- Maintaining equipment & tools used in landscape maintenance
- Safety in operating power landscape equipment – safety wear, proper handling, PM
- Irrigation & watering
- Trees – types, pruning, irrigation, fertilization
- Shrubs & bushes – purpose, technique, irrigation requirements
- Fertilization, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides
- Diagnosing tree, shrub & plant problems
- Transplanting trees & shrubs
- Round table discussions regarding landscape & grounds maintenance problems