August 2022 Locksmithing Workshops have been CANCELLED.
This TSA workshop is designed for:
- Entry level Maintenance personnel
- Maintenance staff who want to round out their maintenance skills
This “hands-on” workshop was designed for Facility Maintenance staff who would like to gain experience and knowledge about Locksmithing. Participants will learn how to remove cylinders from locks, re-key and re-pin tumbler locks, plus, service locks in a variety of areas. Additionally, they will learn why keys break off in locks, and how professionals lubricate locks. Each participant will receive a detailed workbook that explains the agenda topics, which they will keep for future reference when working at their facilities.
We welcome workshop participants to bring locks and deadbolts from their facilities, along with working keys and servicing kits so that they can practice maintaining the specific locks that they will be expected to service on the job.
Participants will perform all locksmithing activities under the direct supervision of our skilled workshop leader, who is a full time practicing locksmith with many years in the locksmithing business.
TSA certificates will be presented to everyone who attends this workshop.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the personalized nature of this workshop, TSA must limit attendance so please pre-register early to ensure your spot at this popular training session.
First Day, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Second Day, 8:00 am – noon
- Introduction to Locksmithing
- The Locksmith’s Code
- How a “Lock” Works
- Different Types of Locks
- “Tools of the Trade”
- Door Knobs, Dead Bolts, and Latches
- Removing & Installing the Most Common Types
- Removing the Cylinders
- Cleaning & Lubricating Locks
- Techniques for Shimming a Cylinder Open
- Re-keying Pin Tumbler Locks
- The Pin Kit
- Understanding the Shear Line
- Measuring the Key Cuts
- Repining a Cylinder (top pins, bottom pins, & springs)
- Understanding a Master Key System
- Re-keying for Two Keys
- Re-keying for Three Keys
- Different Ways of Resolving Lockouts
- Removing a Broken Key
- Picking the Lock
- Drilling a Lock
- Forced Entry
- Diagnosing the Most Common Door Problems
- Loose Hinges & Door Hardware
- Strike Plate Adjustments
- The Building Has Settled
- Stripped-out Screw Holes
- Loose Threshold or Weather Stripping
To REGISTER for this workshop, select the date and location in the box below.
PLEASE NOTE: Each workshop needs to be registered for individually OR you can make a note in the comments section of the registration form that you plan to attend BOTH Beginning and Advanced. If you do this, you do not have to fill in the registration form again for Advanced Locksmithing.
For information on the companion workshop: Advanced Hands-on Locksmithing