August 2022 Locksmithing Workshops have been CANCELLED.
This TSA workshop is designed for:
- Entry level Maintenance personnel
- Maintenance staff who want to round out their maintenance skills
As a follow-up to our Beginning Hands-on Locksmithing workshop, this advanced training session takes participants to a higher level of locksmithing abilities. Under the direction of the workshop leader, an experienced full time locksmith who has been operating a successful locksmithing business for many years, workshop participants will learn how to open locked vehicles, pick a variety of locks, solve lock problems when picking does not work, create a master keying chart, and learn systems to control keys.
Each participant will receive a lock picking set to use during the workshop, which will be theirs to keep, as well as a detailed workbook that explains how to
perform the maintenance and repair work included in the training session. TSA certificates will be presented to everyone who attends this workshop.
Participants are asked to bring locks and deadbolts from their facilities, along with working keys and servicing kits so that they can practice picking, repairing, and maintaining the locks that they will be expected to service on the job.
PLEASE NOTE: To get the most out of this training session, it is strongly recommended that those with little or no locksmithing experience first attend TSA’s Beginning “Hands-on” Locksmithing workshop before attending this workshop.
First Day, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Second Day, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Review of locksmithing principles:
- The Locksmith’s Code
- Knowing the parts of a lock
- Understanding the Shear Line
- Different types of locks
- Picking a lock:
- Picking Disk Tumbler locks (cabinets, drawers, etc.)
- Picking Disk Tumbler locks (door knobs and deadbolts)
- Advanced Techniques for picking pin tumblers
- Making a key when you don’t have one:
- Impressioning a key
- Code cutting
- Reading Wafers & Pins
- Getting into locked vehicles:
- Understanding the Auto-Tool Kit and Manual
- Using a Variety of tools on different makes and models
- Picking the door lock, and alternative methods of entry
- Forced entry:
- Drilling a lock
- Breaking the lock
- Breaking a window
- Permission to enter, and the Liability Waiver Form
To REGISTER for this workshop, select the date and location in the box below.
PLEASE NOTE: Each workshop needs to be registered for individually OR you can make a note in the comments section of the registration form that you plan to attend BOTH Beginning and Advanced. If you do this, you do not have to fill in the registration form again for Beginning Locksmithing.
For information on the companion workshop: Beginning Hands-on Locksmithing