Meet Our Workshop Leaders:
TSA works with more than 25 hand-picked professional trainers who have had many years of hands-on experience in their areas of expertise. All of our workshop leaders are very approachable with down-to-earth teaching styles that make learning new skills easy and fun. Our trainers routinely give individual attention to workshop attendees so that they can gain a full understanding of the skills and topics being taught.
Brian is a certified home inspector and owns an inspection company in Oakland, California. As a trainer for TSA, he teaches the workshops that he has developed. Additionally, he owned his own handyman business for several years in the Bay Area doing both maintenance and renovation work. Brian has a General Contractor’s license and holds several certifications related to housing inspections and is a member of the American Society of Home Inspectors. He is President of Golden Gate ASHI and chairs its education committee. He is also a member of the International Code Council (ICC) and holds an ICC J-1 California Residential Building Inspector certification. Brian is featured on the cover and in the introduction of the newly released book, The Complete Guide to Home Inspection published by Taunton Press. He enjoys racing sailboats on the San Francisco Bay and spending time with his daughter.
- Hands-on Electrical & Plumbing Maintenance – Part Three
- Hands-on Electrical & Plumbing Maintenance – Part Four
- Hands-on Building Maintenance & Home Repair – Part One
- Hands-on Building Maintenance & Home Repair – Part Two
Corey is one of our trainers who has truly earned his stripes the hard way. A professional multi-tradesman, he has been active in the Building trades for over thirty years. Working his way up from the bottom, he began in the trades of Landscaping, Painting, Custodial, and New Construction Cleaning. He continued to expand his skills and experience into the other trades, eventually becoming the Maintenance Supervisor of a 200 unit apartment complex. He is HVAC Certified and has added Finish Carpentry, Appliance Repair, Electrical and Plumbing Repair, and Locksmithing. Corey has been working with TSA for over 12 years, filling many roles such as Lead Trainer, Assistant Trainer, Workshop Developer, Writer, Researcher, and Display Builder. A musician for nearly thirty years, he plays multiple instruments, and loves the outdoors and rock-climbing.
- Hands-on Electrical & Plumbing Maintenance: Part One
- Hands-on Electrical & Plumbing Maintenance: Part Two
- Hands-on Electrical Maintenance
- Hands-on Plumbing Maintenance
- Hands-on Introduction to Carpentry
- Techniques of the Painting Trade
Vaughn has taught small engine servicing and repair, plus automotive servicing for over 23 years as well as being a trainer for TSA. He is certified in technical areas with extensive experience in gas, diesel & electric motor-powered equipment, and has expertise with power system applications in a variety of equipment. For fun and relaxation Vaughn enjoys gardening, home and auto repair, and spending time with family, especially his daughter in Special Olympics.
- Hands-on Small Engine Servicing and Repair: PART 1
- Hands-on Gas & Electric Powered Small Engine Servicing and Repair: PART 2
Mark has been installing various types of flooring and ceramic tile work for over 30 years and was instrumental in developing these workshops. He has also taught a ceramic tile training session for a major hardware retailer. Mark enjoys coaching soccer in his spare time.
- Hands-on Installing & Repairing Flooring
- Hands-on Installing & Repairing Ceramic Tile
Larry has been in the drywall trade for his entire career (over 40 years) owning and operating Eagen Drywall Co. He developed and has been teaching these workshops for several years. Additionally, Larry is a general contractor, having built and renovated hundreds of houses. In his spare time, Larry enjoys reading, biking, walking, hunting, and golfing.
- Hands-on Drywall and Texturing for New Construction & Remodeling
Bryck has been teaching TSA workshops for many years. He has been involved in the curriculum from the start. He has had more than 30 years of experience inspecting homes in many different geographic locations with over 17,000 homes inspected. He currently performs housing inspections of existing housing on a daily basis. He is a member of the American Society of Home Inspectors, and he often teaches Inspection & Construction classes through them, as well as through many Real Estate Schools. He is a licensed Residential General Contractor, building both new homes, and specializing in the rehabilitation of older homes. Bryck enjoys golfing, teaching, photography, scuba diving, and fishing.
- Developing & Improving Supervisory Skills: PART 1
- Safety Training & Understanding Chemicals for Custodial Programs
- Essentials of Custodial & Housekeeping Maintenance
- Inspecting Public Housing Properties
- Rehabilitating Houses & Apartments
- Inspecting Construction Projects
- Conducting Final & Warranty Inspections
- Hands-on Concrete Work and Block Laying
- Hands-on Rough Framing & Shingle Roofing
- Hands-on Installing & Replacing Windows & Doors
- Hands-on Understanding & Troubleshooting Electrical & Plumbing Systems
Randy was a practicing locksmith for over 20 years. He is also a former middle school teacher. He presently works for a large resort in Flagstaff, Arizona. Randy is an avid reader.
- Beginning Hands-on Locksmithing
- Advanced Hands-on Locksmithing
Ron is one of our long time trainers, who designed and teaches these workshops. Ron has serviced all makes and models of appliances full-time for over 30 years, and currently services appliances in Southern Arizona on a part-time basis. Ron enjoys boating, fishing, and traveling.
- Hands-on Servicing and Maintaining Residential Refrigerators
- Hands-on Servicing of Appliances
Susan developed all of these workshops for TSA and has been teaching them for several years. Susan holds both a Bachelor Degree and a Masters Degree in Business Education, and she has been a teacher, trainer, and consultant for 25 years. Participants at her workshops notably upgrade their skills in office management areas while discovering ways in which to enrich their daily duties within the organization by practicing new, successful techniques and procedures. Susan’s workshop participants praise the personal touch, humor, and hands-on activities that she brings to her training sessions, as well as the wisdom and energy she offers, and her sincere concern and individual attention given to each workshop participant. In her spare time, Susan enjoys reading best sellers, trying out new recipes, making quilts, and attending cultural events. She also walks, swims, and exercises at the gym.
- Office Efficiency & People Skills
- Improving Office Administration Skills: Part 1
- Improving Office Administration Skills: Part 2
John is a very talented and energetic trainer. He is well respected in the security and law enforcement fields and makes many presentations each year with various law enforcement professionals around the country. John has worked at the Bug-O-Nay-Ge-Shig school on the Leech Lake reservation in Minnesota for many years and among other things his responsibilities include security and emergency preparedness. John enjoys writing poetry, some of which has been published, and he has been a consultant for books and documentaries. He is also an avid outdoors man.
- Security Officer Training: Part 1
- Security Officer Training: Part 2
- Security Officer Training: Part 3 Emergency Operations and Response Training
- Security Management: Part 1
- Security Management: Part 2
David is the superintendent of a large school district in the Phoenix area. His responsibilities include supervising the Maintenance, Custodial and Finance Departments. He held previous positions at several other school districts. He is a graduate of the US Naval academy, holds a Law Degree, and teaches maintenance courses for a state association to which he belongs. David enjoys traveling and the outdoors.
- Managing the Maintenance Department: PART 2
- Improving Relations Between Maintenance and Administration
- Maintenance Administration Training for Office Staff & Clerks: Part 1
- Maintenance Administration Training for Office Staff & Clerks: Part 2
- Managing Custodial and Housekeeping Departments
Marc has been the Director of several large Public Housing Authorities, an assistant Executive Director, and the Chief of Construction and Development of other PHAs. He is currently the Executive Director at a large Public Housing Authority on the East Coast. He has a strong background in maintenance and construction, as well as housing administration. Marc works as a volunteer with the Boy Scouts and loves the outdoors.
- Managing the Maintenance Department: PART 1
- Preventive Maintenance: A Pound of Cure
- Improving Unit Turnovers: The Complete Process
Dale is an accomplished Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning engineer and master mechanical technician with more than thirty years of experience in the installation, repair and replacement of residential and commercial HVAC equipment. A valedictorian graduate of the Climate Control Institute in Wichita KS. Dale is EPA certified and has completed several manufacturers specific equipment courses including but not limited to Trane, Carrier, Rheem, Ruud, etc. Dale owned and managed a successful HVAC business for 14 years in the state of Kansas. He is currently involved in the operation, maintenance and engineering of Cascade type refrigeration systems for the Environmental Test facility at Fort Huachuca Arizona. In addition to his exceptional knowledge and experience in the HVAC industry Dale is also a licensed Home Inspector in the state of Arizona and owns Dale the Home Inspector LLC. When Dale’s not at work he enjoys hiking, bicycling, fishing, birding and tending to his array of hot peppers in the garden.
- Fundamentals of HVAC Systems & Servicing
- Hands-on HVAC Electrical Equipment Troubleshooting
- Hands-on Gas/Electric Furnaces: Maintaining & Troubleshooting
- Hands-on HVAC Electrical Systems Troubleshooting
- Hands-on Forced Air Gas Heating Systems
Dennis Vaughan has a Masters degree in Public Administration from the University of Arizona with over 21 years of experience working for three different Native American tribes in Arizona as Business Manager/Controller. In addition, he has served as a consultant to various Indian tribes in Arizona and California. He also has worked for municipalities and school districts within the State of Arizona. As a workshop leader, he encourages group interaction and likes to hear the personal experiences of the attendees at his training sessions. He is married and has one grown daughter. He enjoys walking, swimming, golf and traveling (both within and outside the United States). Dennis has had more than 20 years of experience in Financial Management and Governmental Accounting for several tribal governments. Dennis also provides financial consulting services to Native American Tribes, including, but not limited to, Budgeting, Accounting, Per Capita Distribution, Audit Responses, Payroll, and Accounts Payable & Receivable.
- Governmental Bookkeeping & Accounting
- Hands-on Budgeting
- Managing Financial & Accounting Departments
- Financial Training & Responsibilities for Board Members