Development, Controls, & Administration
Developing complex budgets for various agencies (Tribes, Schools, Hospitals, Casinos, Utility Companies, and Housing Authorities) is a demanding process for the administrative and financial staff members who must prepare them. Data needs to be gathered, accurate projections must be made, and expenses need to be properly justified. These budgets must also be approved by CEOs and boards.
TSA has developed this workshop to assist Chief Executive Officers, Controllers, Finance Managers, Accountants, Department Heads, Program Managers, and other administrative and accounting staff members in preparing and administering their budgets. Additionally, administrative staff who are involved in the budgeting process can gain important and practical information from this training.
The workshop will include pertinent case studies aimed to help participants better understand the budgeting process, including how to keep budget expenses under control. Practical, “hands-on” participatory exercises will be utilized, which will assist participants in developing their own budgets later. Since budgeting and economical purchasing go hand-in-hand, effective cost-saving tips for helping organizations stay within their budgets will also be presented. TSA certificates will be presented to everyone in attendance.
NOTE: Please bring a calculator to the workshop for your personal use. Budgeting forms and worksheets for a typical agency will be used throughout the workshop to assist in explaining how the various forms tie together.
First & Second Days: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Preparation of the Operating Budget
- Overview of the Operating Budget process and case study
- Determining salaries within acceptable budget guidelines
- Suggested methods to calculate estimated income
- Budgeting income from funding sources
- Allocation of costs between programs
- Justification for proposed expenses
- Collecting data for costs
- Involvement of Department Heads in Budget Preparation
- Improving the Process of Getting the Budget Approved
- Cost Saving Ideas
- Procurement of audit
- Office supply purchases
- Material purchases
- Administering a Budget and Controls
- Monitoring expenditures
- Importance of staff communication
- Examples of budget control tools
- Recognizing budget troubles before a crisis develops
- Budget modifications
If you would like to have more information about holding this workshop in your area, please CONTACT US. Be sure to tell us in the message section which workshop(s) you are interested in.