This TSA workshop is designed for:
- Anyone from an organization who would like to learn how to capture and utilize rainwater for multi-use landscaping
The following organization can benefit from this training: Federal, State, & Local Governments, Housing Agencies, Schools, Casinos, Parks Departments, National Park Service, Federal Government Agencies and Private Businesses
The availability of water in most communities is limited, and what is available can be expensive. Many communities are plagued with some type of drought situation to the point where they must limit the use of water for irrigation, washing vehicles, and other elective water uses. The irony is that the precious commodity of rainwater is routinely wasted in most communities, including the ones that have limited water use. Local communities need to turn water scarcity into water abundance, which can be easily accomplished by implementing the core principles that are covered in this training session. Using rainwater to supplement water usage saves money, while helping the environment, which is a Win-Win end result for everyone. In addition, water-harvesting strategies double as flood control strategies reducing flood threats and erosion in wet seasons
The major goal for this workshop is to have the participants embrace and implement in their communities and housing developments the principles of water harvesting learned in this workshop. Participants will learn the process of harvesting rainwater and how to actually implement it on their properties. Actual case studies will be presented, which will be supplemented with “hands-on” activities that will allow workshop participants to gain a thorough understanding of the process of water harvesting and how to make it happen in their communities.
During this interactive workshop, an extensive display of photos and videos that show actual water harvesting applications will be shown for workshop participants to evaluate, critique, and discuss with the workshop leader.
All workshop participants will receive a copy of the workshop leader’s important and timely book, “Rainwater Harvesting for Dry-lands & Beyond: Volume 1 (Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into your Life & Landscape),” which will be used as a workbook during the workshop. Volume 1 is the core of a 3-volume guide about how to conceptualize, design, and implement sustainable water harvesting systems for homes, landscapes, and communities. TSA certificates will be presented to everyone who attends this training.
Both Days, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Major topics that will be covered during the workshop:
- Introduction to rainwater harvesting – why you should do it
- The eight principles of successful water harvesting
- Integrating energy & water conservation strategies – do more with less
- Examples of successful rainwater harvesting applications
- Understanding the three golden elevations of water harvesting topography
- Use of different elevation tools for site work
- Taking advantage of passive solar principles in conjunction with rainwater harvesting to reduce utility bills
- Creating appropriate native plant pallets
- Creating a living air conditioner for your property
- Advice for purchasing the best and most practical products for water harvesting
- Creating an on-site water budget for a property
- Getting water harvesting grants & tax credits
- Calculating a payback period related to your investment
- Case studies for participants to apply the knowledge they just gained
- Hands-on site assessment – Bring your site plans to discover what potentials you have
- Field trip on the property to assess rainwater harvesting potentials
- Hands-on site activities to capture and utilize rainwater
- Round table discussions regarding how harvesting rain water can work in your area
If you would like to have more information about holding this workshop in your area, please CONTACT US. Be sure to tell us in the message section which workshop(s) you are interested in.